Sunday, July 26, 2009

Exercise For Seniors -- The Happiest Way to Live!


I have to admit I hated golf. Tennis was always my thing growing up in L.A. Loved Breakfast at Wimbledon, the whole thing. Instant gratification (or not) every time you hit the ball, and the points went fast.

Then I married my husband. A golfer -- the most boring sport known to me. Slow, slow, slow...Then I watched him play. And man, did he think, and analyze, and think and analyze each shot. And walk and walk and walk. Me, too. Enlightened me: There's a lot of thinking involved with this game...It's very strategic...

So, now here's my pitch, to mix sports metaphors. One of the most important things for our aging parents to do is exercise. Here is a great place to answer your questions on the benefits of exercise for seniors.

Tennis for some may no longer be an option. (Tennis Elbow a problem? Click Here!)

But how about my new favorite? Golf? I'm even learning how to play. Putting's my best -- I think it was all that miniature golf as a kid. Here's a resource I also found for lots of great tips for senior golfers seeking exercise, a great game and fellowship.

Balance is also important as our parents get older. My mother is bedridden because over time she refused to get out of bed and now her internal equilibrium causes her to feel like she's falling even when she is lying in bed. That's why I press this point so hard: I don't want what happened to my mother to happen to yours. Here is a great resource for balance exercises for your Mom or Dad to work on now. Click for info here.

If Mom or Dad prefers swimming, Click Here!

Exercise works the brain, the soul and the body -- and it's one of the best social activities around. So get your folks out there, study how to improve your game together, if you're golfing, enjoy the links and remember the golfer's goal -- long and straight!

No comments: