Friday, May 14, 2010

Mother's Day in Retrospect


Everyone said last Sunday, Mother's Day, would be a hard day to get through. To me for the last four years, every day has been Mother's Day! So, I wasn't sure how I would be affected by everyone celebrating. I hibernated in the house for a little while, still mourning and wishing I could go in and give my Mom a big kiss and say Happy Mother's Day. Then I started watching the "Mother of a Day" Marathon of movies on Lifetime. Chick flicks -- me, who would be embarrassed to say I liked a chick flick. But there was something affirming about the movies I saw, the relationships between mothers and sons and daughters, the poignancy of love and loss and finding the strength to move on.

I found myself celebrating the life of my Mother and all the wonderful strengths she had, the things she had taught me, and the beautiful times we had together particularly in the last nine months when I was caring for her at home. It was a time to celebrate her not suffering anymore, being grateful that she had gone to be with the Lord peacefully, that I was there with her that last night, and recognizing that she had raised me to be strong enough to move forward even without her.

The photo here may seem strange, but it's precious to me, and it's perfect for Mother's Day. Those are our Shires, they have fancy names, but we call them Mommy (on the right) and Baby. They've been with us since Baby was born, and there's no doubt they enjoy each other the way no two other horses do. Mommy pokes at Baby when she's naughty. Scratches Baby's back when it itches. Mommy lies down to rest, and Baby stands watching over her.

I always dreaded the day my Mother would be gone. But Mother's Day was a happy day, a time for gratitude and love, a time to celebrate life and the importance of taking the time to love the ones dearest to us while they're with us. I had done the best I could to love my Mom to the end, now it was time to move on and help others on that same journey.

No comments: