Saturday, June 26, 2010

A Different kind of Radio Day


Okay, so I'm going to the grocery store to pick up soy sauce and salsa, and Green Day's 21 Guns comes on the radio. It was compelling. I sat and listened to the end before getting out of the car. Then I came home and downloaded it on my IPhone -- how I love ITunes -- instant gratification.

I was already reeling from a tearstorm at watching "Remember Me" last night. I'll admit, uncontrollable weeping, at midnight. The movie hit my "I've lost my Mom" spot. Great movie (though not for youngsters even if they love Robert Pattinson, stick to Twilight).

So, this morning I buck up for an interview at 4C.org in San Jose with host Mario del Castillo. Thank you, Mario. Mood seems to have changed. Back in control. Then the fateful trip to the grocery store. (I bought a horse on the way to the WalMart once, well, actually two horses, so shopping trips are not necessarily a good thing for me.)

Now, back home, it's literally minutes before what I'm blessed to do, another radio interview about loving your parents, and I'm swaying melancholically to my IPhone. The real phone rings, and it's time to speak with Chuck Wolfe on WPKN in Bridgeport, Connecticut. Chuck is an expert on Emotional Intelligence, and his program is "The Emotion Roadmap." He has a new DVD applying EI to caring for our aging parents. I was at that moment in need of a little emotional intelligence myself. I was greatly blessed by our conversation, Chuck was a gracious host, and I highly recommend his work if you're caring for your folks.

As soon as Chuck and I say good-bye, back to the IPhone. "When you're at the end of the road, and you've lost all sense of control, and your thoughts have taken their toll....When it's time to live and let die, and you can't get another try, something inside this heart has died, you're in ruins." Yep, just about sums it up for the day.

Tomorrow is Sunday, a new day, a day for worship....and much gratitude.

But for now, I'm sticking to 21 Guns. And letting myself miss my Mom.


No comments: